Palmer Memorial

Reverend James Nelson Palmer (1832 - 1908) arrived on the Island in 1879 as Curate of Yaverland, becoming Rector in 1888. He was a greatly respected member of the Bembridge community having been a founding member of the IOW Corinthian Sailing Club and Bembridge Football Club. In 1910 Lord Alverstone unveiled a Memorial Fountain to Palmer.

Fast forward 100+ years and the fountain, now known as the Palmer Memorial and listed at Grade II in recognistion of its special importance to our heritage, has been restored by Bembridge Parish Council with support from Down to the Coast with Bembridge C of E Primary School children working with Bembridge Heritage to produce new interpretative material telling the story of Rev. Palmer.  Click here for more images.

Palmer Memorial, Bembridge